When I eat out I want it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You might have seen the advice on how exactly to shave calories at restaurants but really, do you need to pay high restaurant charges for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? If not, how then is it possible to solve the dilemma of too many calories when you eat out?
Here are seven tips for obtaining the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered has already been too large. Stop super sizing and you?ll save money. On top of that, order one dinner and have for a supplementary plate. Many restaurants will do this for a dollar or two, and it?s well worth it. Then share the meal with your friend and you split the price straight down the middle. Another option is to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole lot and it?s still a huge amount of food!
2. Skip the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket with your meal. Unless it?s a brand new baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t need to fill up on ordinary bread once you?re paying good money for meals. Just ask for it to be studied away if you can?t resist, but in Cours MAPAQ , you?re an adult, you can resist, if you want to. You can simply choose not to put a roll on your plate. Try it, just once and see if you don?t walk out of this restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If you can?t miss the rolls, at least miss the butter. That?s right. Eat it plain. Whole grain bread is delicious all by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Soft drinks certainly are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and become they?re doing you a big favor by only charging you $1.29 for a huge 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Particularly if you?re ordering ?to go? skip the drink. If you?re consuming it there, ask for water, or at the very least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down You Eat Too Fast! What?s the rush? Invest some time, savor the moment, enjoy the flavors. A big part of getting in touch with your hunger signals and learning to eat what really will satisfy is understanding how to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know once you?re approaching satisfaction if you?ve gobbled everything down in 5 minutes. Have a bite then notice how many times do you chew before you start wanting to swallow? Once, twice? Try to chew your food as well as your body will be much happier. A very large section of digestion begins in the mouth area, not to mention you?ll get a lot more pleasure if you allow food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I understand, you really love your skin?of course you do, it tastes good, it will, it?s pure fat. Do you wish to get leaner, or would you like to eat fat? You select. I never eat chicken skin and never eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You must decide what you would like more, the second?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or perhaps a lifetime of carrying around an extra 40 lbs? I know this is counter to the low carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight loss for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Ask for a Doggie Bag at the Beginning of Meal. When the food is served, immediately portion off some to collect for tomorrow. Most restaurants in america serve way too much. There is absolutely no law you must eat it all. Do that frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting a supplementary lunch out of that meal.
7. Get a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and begin checking out how many calories you?re really eating. If you eat out frequently and you also carry extra weight, then that?s probably the problem right there. This little book will help you realize why it appears you don?t eat that much yet it is possible to?t lose any weight. Hardees recently introduced a fresh burger that clocks in at only under 1200 calories simply by itself! Given that?s frightening.
If you really want to get a handle on your weight problem, look first to where you eat, second at everything you eat, and third how much you take in. Where, What and How Much? Try these steps choosing one tip at the same time, and see how easily you can take a few of the calories out of restaurant food.